Title : Knowledge based adoption and information oriented advisory services in sustainable livelihood security of small animal farmers
Small Animal particularly Goat, Sheep & Pigs are important animals in subsistence agriculture on account of unique ability to adopt and maintain themselves in rural harsh environment. These farming practices plays crucial role for improving livelihood and socio-economic status of rural stakeholders. So, improving the productivity and profitability of these need based entrepreneurial sectors necessities scientific orientation along with adoption of improved practices. Considering these scenario, the study was promulgated to explore the factor related to adoption of improved practices by rural small animal owners in various agro-climatic zone in eastern region of India. Total 880 no of sample respondent were randomly surveyed for collection of data proportionately from 06 agro-climatic zone of Eastern India. Analytical study revealed that, greater numbers of small animal farmers belonged to middle age (30-50 years) group, marginal category, Hindu religion, married, lower education and nuclear family with very poor income status. Labor and cultivation were the primary occupation to maintain their livelihood along with traditional animal husbandry practice as ancillary support. The study explored that, among all independent variables, income source, and communication source, knowledge & attitude level were the key elements which directly and indirectly helped to improve the adoption index of small animal owners for successful entrepreneurship development. The essential targeted variables such as- Knowledge in green fodder feeding, communication source, knowledge in milk products, marketing orientation, total income, attitude in productivity and religion were the most important variables to measure the adoption index of small animal farmers about selected IAHP in all various agro-climatic regions of Eastern India. The majority of selected entrepreneurs had medium level of Knowledge and adoption about improved animal husbandry practices. The study was conducted to recommend specific guidelines for prospective planning and development of small animal farmers in the Eastern region of India. The research findings of the study recommend that for formulation of strategic planning for the A.H. development emphasis should be given on women folk especially for their substantial empowerment through small animal enterprises. All communities, income group, age group, literacy, land and livestock holding have to be considered for formulation of strategic planning of small animal Husbandry development.Marketing orientation, Attitude towards livestock rearing, knowledge level about improved practices, adoption rate of improved technologies, mass
media exposure, social participation, personal Cosmo politeness and personal localiteness are to be considered while planning for small livestock development. Therefore, the planners and policy makers have to consider the cited parameters for development of pro-poor small animal owners. Only the degree and magnitude of the parameters will vary depending upon different agro-climatic region of similar demography and socio-economic scenario for which technologies are to be consulted during planning and development of intended stakeholders.
Key words: Knowledge, Adoption, information, advisory, Livelihood, Small Animal, Farmers, Agro-climate etc.
Audience Take Away:
- The learning of the presentation will be helpful to the audience for getting better insight about the socio-economic status of the pro-poor small animal farmers in various agro-climatic regions of any country.
- The findings of the study will help the audience to prepare a detail roadmap for disseminating need based improved technological practices in effective socio-economic development of the stakeholders and country.
- This is a kind of applied sociological research study for exploring the factual incidence of our rural stakeholders. The findings may be used for future research and teaching with similar nature if needed.
- The findings of the study are very much need based and practical, which definitely provide a practical solution to the specific constraints of reality in simplified manner to make the designer’s job more effective and efficient absolutely.
- The recommendation of the study will definitely excel and improves the accuracy of a design of similar nature along with extending innovative information for better assisting in the designing and resolving problem of the intended stakeholders.
- The study recommendation will be helpful to prepare a roadmap guide for holistic development of the intended stakeholders through improve knowledge based adoption and information oriented advisory services on improved animal husbandry practices in various agro-climatic regions with the vision of sustainable development goals.